The linguistic origin of ‘Keuchen’ ought to be traced back to the Medieval prison tower at the south-east corner; during the renovation into a Renaissance castle, this was completely integrated into the new building.
In the era of Ferdinand II, a modern garden square, divided into nine garden beds, was laid out; in its centre stood a round pavilion with columns and an onion-shaped roof.
The so-called ‘Summer House’ was located in the south-east. Here, water games could be enjoyed, for example a table, rotated by water-powered wheels, splashed the guests with water. The Summer House no longer exists; neither does the hall for ball games which originally bordered the Keuchengarten to the east.
After the death of Ferdinand II in 1595 , the Keuchengarten was transformed into a fruit garden. At the end of the twentieth century, it was redesigned based on an engraving by Matthäus Merian the Younger (1649).