The Strasser Collection of Glass
The Strasser Collection is amongst the most important of its kind in the world. Built up by Professor Rudolf Strasser over a period of more than fifty years this collection includes valuable Renaissance and Baroque Period lasses from Europe’s most important glass producing regions, for example Venice, Bohemia, Hall, Innsbruck and Silesia.
In 2004, Professor Rudolf Strasser outstanding glass collection passed into the possession of the Kunsthistorisches Museum. Since 2013, beside some outstanding glasses allotted in the Kunstkammer Vienna, the majority of the collection – 200 glasses – are displayed in the Hochschloss (Upper Castle) of Ambras Castle. Here the transparent, coloured and elaborately decorated goblets, chalices, cylindrical beakers and tankards tell the story and the technique of glass art.
Ambras Castle is the ideal location for this collection: The founder of the Ambras Collections, Archduke Ferdinand II (1529 – 1595) had his own Court Glassworks and also acquired valuable glass pieces from the glassworks in Hall, Bohemia and Murano, which was famous for its glass production since the Renaissance. Many of these glass objects are still to be found in the Kunstkammer in Ambras Castle.
Schlossstraße 20, 6020 Innsbruck
daily, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Admission till half an hour before closing time.
Closed during November!
The Habsburg portrait gallery and the Collection of gothic sculptures are open April to October!
May 1, 2018: openHoliday opening hours
Tel. +43 1 525 24- 4802